I Adjusted My Lazy Susan
I just got the inspiration to fix my lazy susan. It’s been dragging for…well, years. Why I was inspired today, I’m not quite sure. (So behind on laundry, may as well tackle a job worthy of not doing the laundry? I don’ t know. Sounds close.) Mine is the kind of “susan” with the cabinet attached to the shelves.
I looked at the project, adjusted some screws, and…the whole thing fell off the top where it was hanging. Not the result I wanted.
Turns out, it is not actually “anchored” to the top, but screws down the pole adjust it. One set of screws adjusts the top shelf, another set adjusts the bottom shelf. A third has a screw that loosens, allowing you to raise or lower the height (I needed a wrench to grasp each side and turn it. This was the last step, turning it while checking for “rub” spots).
So, first I emptied the cabinet (mostly).
Next, I loosened the wrong screw and did some internet reading.
Then, I tried a couple more times, and failed, having it either fall at the bottom, or the top.
Finally, I found a large glass jar of northern beans, propped the cabinet on it so I could see underneath with a flashlight. I lowered the cabinet into the hole of the bracket there. Then, I readjusted the shelves to their prior position by looking at the aged spots. Then, I removed the bean jar (this kept me from having to hold the shelves while working up top. It was key! I held the shelves in place and found up high that I could force the pole to adjust up and down, allowing the “susan” to rise enough to be tightened at the top and hold to that “bracket”. I tightened screws, then went underneath to adjust the bottom height of the cabinet where it was dragging. I went to get the wrench, then turned it about 12-15 times in the direction that seemed to be working to my advantage. I tightened the screw that held that adjustment in place.
Voila! I’m so excited with myself I can hardly stand it.
Entry filed under: Everyday.